"All that is solid melts into air."

Wednesday, April 30, 2014

A friend of mine lost his childhood home to a fire. It happened in the middle of the night, but no one was injured. When he tells people about it he recalls his father, stark naked, running around trying to rescue things from the blaze- moving cars away from the heat of the flames, etc.- oblivious to his nakedness.

I can't imagine the loss. I am such a homebody and when my house is in mere upheaval I can hardly sit still. I think of all the memories and mementoes we would lose- the baby outfits and wedding photos, the books and journals.

So, I was struck when I saw this article last week. Beth has been writing this awesome series of blog posts visiting local artists' studios and the years of work and reflection represented in those spaces is incredible. An artists' studio is a home in itself. The article is by visual artist Julian Bell who lost his entire life's work in a studio fire last month. Can you imagine? Yet, I thought his reflection on the reality of the loss was quite beautiful:

That last line- "there is a world again to confront"- that's the truth, isn't it! No matter what we hit up against, there is always the need to move forward, to pick up the brush or the script and once again confront this world in which we live. 

No comments:

Post a Comment