Art of Impact

Wednesday, May 14, 2014

As an employee at the Y, impact is a word we hear a lot.  Whether we are focused on what impact we can have, being praised for the impact that we have had, or feeling the impact that our members and coworkers have had on us, it is the core what makes our programming what it is.

Recently I had the opportunity to visit the Sollar Wellness Center at New England Villages.  New England Villages offers both residential and day programs for adults with intellectual disabilities, and welcomed us with open arms to observe their programs.  I sat in on a music class one day and an art class on my next visit.  Believe me when I say that I have witnessed some of the most impactful programming out there.

One of the goals of the Fine and Performing Arts department is to create an inclusive environment, and through observing these classes I know we are an enormous step closer to making that goal a reality.  I was able to help someone paint Popsicle sticks, and meet Elvis/Fred/Prince Charles, he had many names throughout the course of the class but ultimately I made a new friend. 

Seeing the staff and the arts program participants at New England Villages really opened my eyes to a community that many people in our society do not understand.  It was beautiful seeing these staff interact with their students, whether it was a joke, a moment of encouragement, and moment of support, or just a shared moment of bliss.

In the end, I got to create some art with people who felt the impact that art had on them, but more importantly, I met some people who have mastered the art of making an impact.

No comments:

Post a Comment